Off Odor from a Padilla Cazadores

You may have read in another thread that I recently had a beetle outbreak, but luckily I found it early. Anyways, look fine to smoke and smell fine except for the Padilla Cazadores. It has an odd odor that is not really pleasant, but I'm not sure if it is natural or not. Could this odor be from the beetles, or does the Cazadores just have a unique odor?

Comments

  • wwhwang
    wwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    The Cazadores in my opinion has a kind of barnyard and hay smell to it. If it smells really weird after an infestation, I'd suggest quarantining.
  • bigharpoon
    bigharpoon Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭
    Does it smell like ammonia? That could be under-aged or under-fermented tobacco.
  • KCW
    KCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I've had that Ammonic smell/taste before.
  • Amos_Umwhat
    Amos_Umwhat Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the Cazadores I've had have been quite good, perhaps yours are underaged, as this will give the "hay" and ammonia smells. Also possible is beetle damage, I suppose. I've had a few cigars that had tunnels in them that I wonder if were beetle infested. These have been in various brands, and other cigars of the same make were fine, but the 'tunneled' ones were bitter and harsh. Don't give up on the Cazadores though, pretty good cigar, as a rule. (at least, in my experience)
    "If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • It is a barnyard and ammonia type smell, but also it has been resting for over 9 months. Seems peculiar to me that it would still have that odor when it has been resting for that long. Oh well, I have it quarantined and will try to smoke it sometime soon and see how it is.
  • JCizzle
    JCizzle Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭
    I have a box of these in my coolidor, I hope they're ok.
    Light 'em up.
  • bigharpoon
    bigharpoon Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭
    ztanner25:
    It is a barnyard and ammonia type smell, but also it has been resting for over 9 months. Seems peculiar to me that it would still have that odor when it has been resting for that long. Oh well, I have it quarantined and will try to smoke it sometime soon and see how it is.
    If it's been under-fermented during the tobacco prep process I'm not sure you can save it. At this point I would call your Ccom rep and talk to them and ask them what they think.
  • sightunseen
    sightunseen Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭
    My reaction from smoking the Cazadores was that it was still quite "green" and needed some rest. I got strong flavors of hay that I did not enjoy at all.
  • Amos_Umwhat
    Amos_Umwhat Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    ztanner25:
    It is a barnyard and ammonia type smell, but also it has been resting for over 9 months. Seems peculiar to me that it would still have that odor when it has been resting for that long. Oh well, I have it quarantined and will try to smoke it sometime soon and see how it is.
    If it's been under-fermented during the tobacco prep process I'm not sure you can save it. At this point I would call your Ccom rep and talk to them and ask them what they think.
    Yeah, I agree with this, 9 months is way too long for it to taste like this.
    "If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain