Interesting sight

jlmarta
jlmarta Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
I pulled up behind a small foreign car this afternoon and did a double-take when I read his personalized license plate. The California license plate itself read," LIGERO1" and the decorative frame around the plate was inscribed at the top with "El Ligero" and at the bottom it said, "Coalcoman Mich".

It turns out that Coalcoman is a village in the mountains of southwestern Michoacan, Mexico.

Further, I had always thought that ligero meant strong, or powerful. Google's translator says it translates to 'light'. Go figure. I guess I haven't been paying attention - I thought I read that the leaves at the top of the tobacco plant were called ligero and were the stronger leaves. Maybe I got it backward.

Anyway, I thought it was a funny coincidence with that license plate.

Marty

Comments

  • PuroFreak
    PuroFreak Posts: 4,124 ✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I pulled up behind a small foreign car this afternoon and did a double-take when I read his personalized license plate. The California license plate itself read," LIGERO1" and the decorative frame around the plate was inscribed at the top with "El Ligero" and at the bottom it said, "Coalcoman Mich".

    It turns out that Coalcoman is a village in the mountains of southwestern Michoacan, Mexico.

    Further, I had always thought that ligero meant strong, or powerful. Google's translator says it translates to 'light'. Go figure. I guess I haven't been paying attention - I thought I read that the leaves at the top of the tobacco plant were called ligero and were the stronger leaves. Maybe I got it backward.

    Anyway, I thought it was a funny coincidence with that license plate.

    Marty

    They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.
  • j0z3r
    j0z3r Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    jlmarta:
    I pulled up behind a small foreign car this afternoon and did a double-take when I read his personalized license plate. The California license plate itself read," LIGERO1" and the decorative frame around the plate was inscribed at the top with "El Ligero" and at the bottom it said, "Coalcoman Mich".

    It turns out that Coalcoman is a village in the mountains of southwestern Michoacan, Mexico.

    Further, I had always thought that ligero meant strong, or powerful. Google's translator says it translates to 'light'. Go figure. I guess I haven't been paying attention - I thought I read that the leaves at the top of the tobacco plant were called ligero and were the stronger leaves. Maybe I got it backward.

    Anyway, I thought it was a funny coincidence with that license plate.

    Marty

    They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.
    Nice grab, was about to say the same. Very cool sighting Marty, I never see clever custom plates like that is socal, most of the customs I see are the utter definition of banal.
  • kuzi16
    kuzi16 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭
    i should change my plates to say "Corojo"
  • jlmarta
    jlmarta Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.


    Yeah, I think that's what was confusing me. I was thinking of the term 'light' as somewhat synonymous with 'mild' and I remember folks talking about 'triple ligero' as being pretty strong. Anyway, thanks for straightening me out.

    Marty

  • PuroFreak
    PuroFreak Posts: 4,124 ✭✭
    jlmarta:
    PuroFreak:
    They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.


    Yeah, I think that's what was confusing me. I was thinking of the term 'light' as somewhat synonymous with 'mild' and I remember folks talking about 'triple ligero' as being pretty strong. Anyway, thanks for straightening me out.

    Marty

    Glad to help! Always glad when some of the very little knowledge actually comes in handy! lol I don't know much but that was one I could actually pull outta my a**.
  • laker1963
    laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    PuroFreak:
    jlmarta:
    PuroFreak:
    They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.


    Yeah, I think that's what was confusing me. I was thinking of the term 'light' as somewhat synonymous with 'mild' and I remember folks talking about 'triple ligero' as being pretty strong. Anyway, thanks for straightening me out.

    Marty

    Glad to help! Always glad when some of the very little knowledge actually comes in handy! lol I don't know much but that was one I could actually pull outta my a**.
    LMAO... Puro, you were doing so good... until you mentioned where you pulled that info from. I'll be right back. Feel the need to wash my hands, LMAO
  • PuroFreak
    PuroFreak Posts: 4,124 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    jlmarta:
    PuroFreak:
    They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.


    Yeah, I think that's what was confusing me. I was thinking of the term 'light' as somewhat synonymous with 'mild' and I remember folks talking about 'triple ligero' as being pretty strong. Anyway, thanks for straightening me out.

    Marty

    Glad to help! Always glad when some of the very little knowledge actually comes in handy! lol I don't know much but that was one I could actually pull outta my a**.
    LMAO... Puro, you were doing so good... until you mentioned where you pulled that info from. I'll be right back. Feel the need to wash my hands, LMAO
    Don't lie, you know you sniffed your fingers first! LMAO
  • Sandman1am
    Sandman1am Posts: 2,565 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    jlmarta:
    PuroFreak:
    They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.


    Yeah, I think that's what was confusing me. I was thinking of the term 'light' as somewhat synonymous with 'mild' and I remember folks talking about 'triple ligero' as being pretty strong. Anyway, thanks for straightening me out.

    Marty

    Glad to help! Always glad when some of the very little knowledge actually comes in handy! lol I don't know much but that was one I could actually pull outta my a**.
    LMAO... Puro, you were doing so good... until you mentioned where you pulled that info from. I'll be right back. Feel the need to wash my hands, LMAO
    Don't lie, you know you sniffed your fingers first! LMAO
    Kind of like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1wufZsZgKA
  • Hawk55
    Hawk55 Posts: 846 ✭
    that link was hilarious!!!